21.10.11

International Experience 2011

Mid 2010, I applied for a scholarship to study at an international university so that I could focus my attention toward other courses of interest as well as to experience first hand and compare the secondary education system of another country to Australia's.

FROM CQU to SUU:

I was delighted when I recieved notification from CQU of my successful application to Southern Utah University (SUU), Cedar City, Utah USA. From January to June 2011 (SUU's Spring Semester) I focused my studies in three areas: 1) 2D CAD(Architecture) using AutoCAD 2011; and 2) 3D Modelling using parametric software; specifically, Inventor 2011 & Solidworks 2011; finally, 3) Marketing Principles. I also made special arrangements to enter a number of secondary schools while in Cedar City. Here I established my a few relationships with other teachers, shared resources, as well as, actively participated in observing and teaching in a few classes at a US secondary school. This opportunity gave me first hand experience into the system of education within the US and allows me to compare with my experience at Queensland's secondary institutions. In sum, our education system is far more advanced, in general, under our state school network than that within the USA; however, there is clear evidence that some county schools in the US, including a vast majority of independant schools, have introduced a broad range of ICT's with enormous success (refer to an example under posting 'Next-Gen Education').


Example of an extra-curricula activity I became deeply involved with when studying abroad: "Quarters for Queensland" Thank You message from CQU to SUU...

No comments: