29.4.10

Digital Pens

My blog friend Meryl recently posted a question querying my application, of any other technologies, in the field of education.  My answer was yes:  digital pens.

This video will describe the Pulse Pen by Livescribe that I use.  I will follow this with a few examples of applications within education before explaining my recent research involving international Japanese students at CQ University and a Brazilian student at another state high school.  This technology is available for less than AU$140.


Livescribe (2008)  Pulse smartpen from Livescribe

Livescribe (2009)  Livescribe Pulse Smartpen authoring concept animation

Livescribe (2008)  Pencasting - Livescribe.co.nz

Livescribe (2009)  Language Translator Demo - Livescribe.co.nz


This final video explains one of the ways that I have been testing the application of this technology with students who speak English as their second language.

I do not know how to speak or write in Japanese or Portuguese; however, I do know how to communicate in these languages. How? Using the Pulse smart pen has provided me, as a teacher, with a tool to immediately communicate with students in their primary language.


Due to the present limitation of my smart pen's language application, being only demonstration capable, I have been using other web 2.0 resources to fill this void. For example: first, I type my instruction in English text; copy this to an free online text translator and convert to Japanese text; copy this text to a avatar (Voki.com or similar) with speech capability; then, I record this translation onto the smart pen for play back synchronised to the text. I have also used this to embed audio with Japanese text combining it with PowerPoint as per my SlideShow example. This allows a student to select their preferred language, English or Japanese or other, from a tab.

The feedback provided by students, I have tested this with, unanimously indicates a positive reaction to this technology due to the breakthrough in immediate communications. Students have all be able to re-interpret my message with ninety percent accuracy. Only minimal content is lost during this direct form of translation. This is due to the different structures and meaning among various languages; regardless, all students have claimed this tool makes it easier to understand my instructions, when compared to, their interpretation  of my spoken English.

Finally, I also use this tool to minimise my in class note-taking.  My writing is slower than most others and I would frequently miss vital information as I focused on note-taking. I can know summarise an hour long scientific lecture with less than twenty words and a diagram. I can then upload these few points to my PC; convert them immediately to type text and share as a Pencast within a blog. I can also use my Pencasts to record my lessons or establish tutorials that may also be shared on my teacher blog. This provides a full resource for students to access at any time or place they desire and is invaluable for those who may have missed class or be confined to home under illness yet still desire to participate.




References

Livescribe (2008). Pulse Smartpen from Livescribe [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6R8v9YZ2k&feature=player_embedded

Livescribe (2009). Language Translator Demo - Livescribe.co.nz [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFVnWTP0nvY&feature=player_embedded


Livescribe (2009). Livescribe Pulse Smartpen authoring concept animation [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHFelMB9jZI&feature=player_embedded#!

Livescribe (2009). Pencasting - Livescribe.co.nz [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVtlPKGpyhw&feature=player_embedded

2 comments:

Zelina said...

Hi Peter, I think that you have fixed your comment problem, there is now a place to put comments!
I love the digital pen idea, I'll have to see if anyone around here has one so that I can have a play before I spend any money.
I love the you tube clips, they really help me to understand the message that you are trying to show. My mum is an ESL (English as a second language) tutor, if she was more willing to play with technology I think that she would find your translation tools very helpful.
Zelina

AussieTeacher said...

Hello Zelina,

Thank you for your comments and your feedback advising me that the comments link was not being displayed.

As stated in my blog, I only have a demonstration package loaded for language translation and as such its capability is minimised.

Today I received an email from Pulse stating they do not have complete language based application. Pulse also inform me they only have a package containing common travel phrases and words. Pulse provided no indication of future developments in this area.

A multiple language, text to voice translator seems to be a natural progression for this type of technology; especially, given that such voice translation programming already exists for other applications like a Voki.com avatar.

Regardless of the aforementioned; the benefits of pen-casting, note-taking and capturing of written text, which may be uploaded for electronic assessment or correction, still makes this a beneficial technology for educators.

Kind regards
Peter Spencer